Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Leaving Atlanta

Moving to Atlanta, Georgia in 2004 was not something I had ever planned to do. After spending a few years living at home with my parents and seeing my mother through a prolonged illness, I NEEDED to get out of New York. I had a friend from college who lived in Atlanta, who talked me into moving there with the offer of staying with her and her husband rent-free. Note to everyone: don't listen to crazy people. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, things never really worked in my favor. I am not going to elaborate because I resolve to not focus on the negative, or the past. Suffice it to say I was more than ready to leave. Things I miss about Atlanta: Anna, my bestest friend, Laurie & Will Moore, who run a CSA and own a farm in Alabama, Doc Chey's Noodle House and my apartment. I miss how easy it was to get fresh food. It is challenging to be a vegan and/or vegetarian in the neighborhood I live in now. But I digress.

I took the long way home, through the Appalachians.


   
Tennessee Mountains outside of Nashville
Virginia Sunset

Cats in car
         It took three days to get home. My car
        was loaded, plus I had two cats who   
         behaved rather well the entire way. But I 
         finally made it. 

         I love driving and I love being on the
         road. Finally arriving at my destination  
        was a bit lackluster as my parents had some sad news for me: over the weekend, my grandmother was taken to the hospital after experiencing chest pains and when the doctor observed her state of mind, had been moved to a nursing home. For an undetermined period of time. 


    I had waited too long to do the right thing. I kicked myself and went to sleep. The next day, I decided to go to her apartment anyway. It needed to be sorted out, cleaned and made livable. It was still possible that she would come home for in-home care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment